Who will make the Indoor USA Team for the Long Jump??
The 2018 World Indoor Championships are 4 months away, and we are trying to come up with the top 3 athletes for the USA Team’s long jump. When it comes down to it, we will be looking at 7 legit contenders for 3 Spots. Below we list the to 8 competitors for the 2018 USATF Indoor Championships. *2016 World Champion
1. Jeff Henderson- The 2016 Rio Olympic Champion will be back in 2018 to add to his trophy case. He holds the T-22nd best jump in long jump history 8.52m. At the 2016 World Indoor championships he finished 4th just short of making the podium. We feel that he will back to his elite form in 2018, and if so the World better take notice.
2. Laderrick Ward- He won the 2017 Indoor USA National title in the long jump, we look forward to watching him compete in 2018 for a spot on the National team.
3. Jarrion Lawson- He has the potential to be the face of the event for Team USA. Lawson, won the USA National title in the 2017 long jump, and has a personal best of 8.58m (28 ft 1 3⁄4 in) that is ranked as the 16th best all-time. At the 2017 World championships he took home the silver medal in the long jump, just missing winning gold by 0.04m. In 2018, we look for him to climb the list on the all time list.
4. Will Claye- Will Claye will go down as one of the best jumpers of all-time. Not just for triple jump, but for long jump as well. What this Future Hall of Famer has accomplished is nothing short of legendary. He has the versatility to perform both events at a high level. At the 2012 London Olympics he won the bronze medal in the long jump, and a silver in the triple jump. In 2018, we feel he has the ability to make the team in both events for the World Indoor championships. We are rooting for this to happen.
5. Marquis Dendy*- He is the reigning Indoor World Champion in the long jump. At the 2016 World Indoor Championships he won the event with a jump of 8.26m. He is a 2-time USATF Indoor champion, and will look to add another to his resume in 2018.
6. Michael Hartfield- His personal best in the long jump is 8.34m (27 ft 4 1⁄4 in) that he set in 2016. He will be amongst the top 5 in the event for the USA in 2018.
7. Keandre Bates- We know that he has one more season of eligibility at The University of Florida, but shoe companies may start calling if he has a great indoor season. During the 2017 season he won three individual National Championships. Outdoor he completed the Long Jump/Triple Jump Double, Indoors he won the long jump title.